Pages

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Make Do and Mend Wardrobe Refashion

So, i will be joining The Creative Miss W in a wardrobe refashion project. I am quite excited for this, for several reasons. Firstly, in these thrifty times, i am all for making the best of what i already own. Which is a LOT of clothes. I am fortunate enough to live on my own, which means that i have spread to fill 2 wardrobes and one complete (and very full) chest of drawers. And yet, like most people, i actually wear a very small percentage of this. So, i figure that it is time for a clear out. Also, i have done a couple of refashions recently, and they turned out great, so I'm keen to do more!

I made a start last weekend on wardrobe #1. I sorted my clothes into 5 piles...keep, refashion, sell on eBay, sell at car boot sale, and throw away. I tried to be ruthless, but i am a bit of a hoarder so it was hard! I ended up making some cuts though, so it was productive! The clothes for discarding which were in the best condition i am going to try and sell on eBay. I have listed a few and one has been sold already - exciting stuff! My first eBay sale :) I'm not expecting everything to sell, but even a few sales would be great. Anything left over, plus the stuff which is more worn, i will be taking a a car boot sale in a few weeks time.

I ended up with a number of items which i plan to refashion - a good start methinks :) I haven't quite decided what to do with them all yet, so suggestions welcome!

This skirt i used to love, but don't tend to wear anymore. Not sure why. I think i maybe I'll shorten it.


These shorts are knee-length, but, again, i think i would wear them more if they were a little shorter.


This skirt i bought from a vintage fair. I really like the print, but i don't think i would wear it as a skirt. I am thinking about turning it into a top somehow. I like the plain band around the top.


This dress i love, but the way that the fabric is gathered around the front it makes me look a bit pregnant! I'm hoping that i might be able to alter it so that it is more fitted in the bodice.


So what refashions are you planning/have you carried out? If you want to join in with the Make Do and Mend Wardrobe Refashion, pop along and check it out at Adventures of the Creative Miss W!

K xx



4 comments:

  1. Hi Kat,Thanks for mentioning Make Do And Mend Wardrobe Refashion. I see you've got lots of clothes sorted out for refashion allready out allready. I've got a dress similar to your maroon one which does just the same for me,there's too much volume at the front making me look pregnant. I hadn't yet decided what I was going to do with mine options were: keep for when a maternity dress for later or alter but I hadn't come up with a plan yet so I'm very intrested to see what you do with yours.If it has fastenings you could make darts.if it doesn't you could unpick the side seam and put a zip in and then make darts perhaps.I agree with you on the shorts as knee lenght is a difficult lenght to wear.I'm looking forward to seeing your creations kat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually on looking at the dress a abit closer darts probably wouldn't work on this,that was a silly idea.sorry.
    I'm sure you have some great ideas though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Kat - it looks like you have some interesting projects on the go. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of what you do with them. With the dress, I'm just wondering whether you could take apart the side seams around the waist, insert a hemmed length of fabric to each side, and tie these at the back? Not completely sure if this would work on your derss - it's always difficult to tell unless you're up close - but it's worked for me before on dresses that billow a little too much at the front. No girl wants to be asked if they're pregnant when they're not. No sirree! Like your blog - check out mine if you fancy: needlepullingthread.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments :) Some interesting ideas for the dress, definitely some things to think about. I think i will have to remove some fabric from the front to make it work, although putting a tie or something in at the sides might work too. Hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...