Pages

Monday 7 March 2011

My Very First Post

So...here we go! Welcome to my Blog :)

I have recently rediscovered my love for all things crafty, after many years of studying which basically left time for little else. Now i am finally a "proper grown-up" with a "proper job"(!) i am hoping to have more time to dedicate to crafty endeavours. 
I am basically pretty much a beginner, having done some bits and bobs when i was younger but having forgotten mostly everything in the intervening years. But i'm willing to learn, and i will try anything once!! To help me on my way i was given a sewing machine for Christmas, which i am hoping to become more proficient at using in time. I have also been inspired to document my attempts in a blog, from reading the blogs of many other enthusiastic sewists! I am hoping that this will be a way to gain tips/ideas/share experiences and basically to encourage and inform me. And i'm hoping it will be fun too! I find it hard to believe that anyone would be interested in my ramblings, but you never know.

Here are some things i have made....

- My very first recent project was a super-chunky long and skinny scarf. I am very proud of it as it the first thing i have knitted recently, and have been wearing it non-stop since! Even better, since it is very chunky, it took just two evenings to knit.

- I have been on a couple of the Amy Butler Sewing Courses held at my local John Lewis store. These have been fabulous and have taught me many things, including how to sew on a button and fit a zip. Plus we get to use amazing Amy Butler prints! In the most recent one we made a cushion cover...

- My very first cushion attempt all by myself...i am rather proud of the zip!


- My most recent project (finished yesterday!) is a bag, destined to be a birthday present for my mum. I had this in mind for a while but lacked a suitable pattern and was not quite brave enough to make one up from scratch. However, i stumbled upon this excellent shoulder bag tutorial at Tiny Happy, which is just fantastic, and voila, i have a bag! I learnt an awful lot whilst making this, for example how to match prints (note the large front pocket which hides the fact that my print is not aligned) and also that my hand sewing is shocking and needs some serious practice!!




I haven’t really ventured into clothes yet, as i thought it best to start small. But am i halfway through a Pattern Cutting and Garment Making evening course, which has already given me loads of tips so hopefully i will be brave enough to venture into the world of garments in the near future!
Here is a sneak peak of some gorgeous fabrics that i have recently acquired....i just can't help myself...

This is my favourite...gorgeous! Not sure what it is destined to be yet though....ideas welcome :) K x



1 comment:

  1. OoOoOoOoOoh, yay! Welcome to blogsville...and what an excellent first post.

    I love all your makes - the scarf is lovely and snug, the cushions are amazing and your mum is bound to love that bag!

    I also like how you visited my favourite fabric market stall, I too own the pink polka dot and green ditsy flower ones ;o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...